6/12/2013

Celebrating the Awesome Authors

I think we've all heard the stories of authors behaving badly. It feels like there have been a constant stream of them lately. I'm a devoted lurker at Cuddlebuggery who does a weekly "Buzzworthy News" in the book world update and it seems that there is always a story of an author not being very kind to bloggers/reviewers. Those authors are not who I am here to talk about.

I'm here to talk about the awesome authors. The authors who you can have wonderful conversations with on Twitter. The ones who are always thankful for a shoutout or feature or just some kind words. The ones who are as sweet or cool in person as they are online. Inspired by the fantastic posts by Shelver and Molli, here is my tribute to the authors who have rocked my world and who completely deserve all the love I have for them.

First I want to call out an author whose book destroyed my heart but still managed to have me be the first in line to meet her at BEA this year (until I was cut in front of, darn front-of-the-line passes. *grumbles*) - Elizabeth Wein. I think she knows how much she hurts her poor readers, but she always stops by on Twitter to sympathize. I was so inspired by Code Name Verity that I made her a themed bracelet to give her at BEA and the fact that she remembered me, plus her reaction to the bracelet resulted in the most incredible feeling when I met her. She has been such a wonderful person to talk to, even when I'm doing more wailing and sobbing than actual word-forming.

On a post of this nature, I can't not mention Fiona Paul. The number of times I have flailed over her books has reached the point of insanity and she still happily tweets and emails me back. She has also done some really wonderful things for me and as devoted reader I can't thank her enough. Really, she deals with my fangirling very well and I can't help but love her.

Siobhan Vivian is one I cannot forget because when I met this woman at the SimonTeen blogger party pre-BEA, she made what was probably the best first in-person impression I have ever experienced. I chatted with her with some other bloggers and she was so incredibly happy, excited, and genuine. She was never distracted or pulling away from the conversation, she seemed to be loving it just as much as we were. I have never felt like an author truly wanted to be there chatting with me more than with Siobhan, and I am so appreciative to her for that.

T. Michael Martin, who always replies to my flaily excited tweets about The End Games with a smile. He also completely made my day when he told me how much my support for the novel meant to him. That was just such a meaningful comment and I am so grateful he made it because I didn't realize that my excited tweeting and word-spreading was really so noticeable to an author. I knew authors appreciated their readers, but it wasn't until he made that comment that I really realized how authors can notice individual readers just like readers pick out favourite authors. Okay, I didn't exactly articulate that last bit very well, but just know that it meant a lot to me :)

Victoria Schwab was kind enough to select me to be one of her Keepers (like a street team) and not only has she treated us Keepers very well, but she has also been very gracious in responding to loving tweets. Plus I met her at BEA and she got very excited that she found the fourth Keeper present at the expo and gave me a hug and was just such a smiley, friendly person and I honestly couldn't help but smile in her presence. She made me feel sunny, and who doesn't love that!

Jennifer Castle kindly agreed to be interviewed on the blog and then when we were both at BEA she actually took the time to meet up with me and give me a digital download of her book because she knew I hadn't had a chance to read it yet. I was surprised she even remembered me, let alone that I hadn't read an arc of the book AND that I was at BEA. Then to seek me out to give me a free ecopy? It was so nice.

I also must mention Cat Winters (who kindly put up with my never-failing tweets of excitement over her debut for weeks before and after its publication), Katherine Longshore, and J. Anderson Coats. Not only have they all been so sweet on Twitter, but they also let me join in their epic History Geek-Off discussion which just further proved to me that I have found my people in the book world and I could not be happier about it.

Suzanne Young, Cat Patrick, and David Levithan I saw at Teen Author Carnival this year and not only were they awesome to listen to (and guys, David is absolutely hilarious), but I asked a them a question during the Q&A and, after the panel was finished, each of them thanked me for asking it! All three fantastic authors thanking me just for being curious and voicing my random in-head wonderings? It was so kind of them. Plus they were all so nice at the signing afterwards, too. Just really great people.

And some other wonderful ladies: Megan Crewe, who has been awesome about my requests for interviews and whatnot and whose street team I am proud to be a part of. Emmy Laybourne, who I have had some awesome Twitter chats with (and who is really quite good at bribery). Veronica Rossi, who kindly commented on my blue eyes when I met her but was so modest when I told her that she is even more beautiful in person (which is so true, oh my gosh). Elizabeth Miles, who sent me author love when I missed her in Toronto (so close yet so far) and has been unfailingly sweet (and funny) ever since. Katie McGarry, who never misses a chance to thank a blogger for kind words or a feature about any of her books. And Nova Ren Suma, who has said some of the best lines to me and taken every compliment I have ever paid her with grace and wit.

Sorry that was so long, but I have lots of love for these authors and I wanted to show it! I think a good relationship between author and blogger, or even author and average reader can do so much for the experience.

Do you have any authors you want to call out for being awesome? Please share your stories in the comments! I love hearing wonderful author stories and I want to share the love!

13 comments:

  1. Can I just talk about how incredibly sweet and professional and FUN the authors of the Fierce Reads tour are? They appreciate everyone and find time to TWEET everyone, despite their busy schedules - they're in a different place everyday!

    As for the authors you've called out, I haven't tweeted with them all, but the ones I have are, simply put, awesome. What a love-filled post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have noticed how sweet they've all been on Twitter. I did mention Emmy, but apparently I should chat up the other ladies a bit more! Thanks for mentioning them :) I love that!

      Delete
  2. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3. *shakes purse* <3 <3 *cuts open own chest* <3

    Wait, that got morbid. Oh wellz, I'm a little creepy :)

    LOVE to read posts like these. Not just because I'm in it, but because as a new author I've also experienced insane amounts of kindness from other authors and when I read this stuff it just makes me that more determined to keep paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you know I love you, Fiona :)

      I think that when one person helps to spread kindness, it inspires other people to do so as well, which just makes the world (or at least our bookish community) a happier place. I love hearing about all of it!

      Delete
  3. This post was so awesome! I totally know what you are saying about these authors, they are some of the coolest people I have ever "met". Which leads me to the fact that you are lucky to have actually met some of them! Yay for posts like this that celebrate the authors that are just so awesome out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I love when even if you've only talked to them online, they still often act as if you were chatting in person... so kind and excited and respectful! And yeah, meeting some of them in person was an absolutely amazing experience.

      Delete
  4. AWESOME POST.. I love meeting authors (with the little chances that I have) and I felt great meeting them. They still keep smiling for the fans even though their hands are probably dying from hours of signing. Your tribute is well-written and generally awesome, Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I don't have too many chances either, which is why I appreciate their kindness through internet means so much as well. I'm so glad everyone else loves the awesome authors, too!

      Delete
  5. I love spreading the love! Especially when they so deserve it. And ooh, you're right. I can't believe I missed some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *^_^*

    We really must have another geek-off in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yes! I would absolutely love that. It was so much fun!

      Delete
  7. I love how Shelver started this, and now it's just spreading, and becoming a huge ball of awesome love for authors!

    Victoria is one of my fave authors, and one of my very most amazing moments this year was meeting her. Elizabeth Wein sounds AWESOME. I so need to read her book already.

    Wonderful post, Jessica!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Shelver started it because these authors deserve some extra love! :)

      I agree, meeting Victoria was such a wonderful experience. I absolutely loved how happy she seemed meeting readers. It felt like a big happy-fest all around her! Elizabeth was also amazing and YES, I definitely recommend Code Name Verity! Beautiful book.

      Thank you, Molli! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think!