In my newest book, MY BEST FRIEND, MAYBE ex-besties Colette and Sadie go on vacation together and attempt to re-kindle their friendship.
Their vacation is to the Greek Islands.
Because I went there and it was my favorite vacation ever! Here are my top five
moments from the real vacation that inspired Coley’s and Sadie’s fictional one!
1) This is the beautiful island of Santorini from our balcony, the most stunning view I’ve ever seen.
2) This was our hotel room. It’s carved into the side of the island like a cave. It was incredibly cool. And of course Colette stays in a fictional version of the same room! (That’s my husband peeking through the window!)
3) This is a Santorini sunset. It’s too awesome and complicated for just one picture! See the sun on our skin? It’ll play on Colette’s skin too...and someone special just might notice.
People line up all over the island to watch the sunset. Here’s a view of the hushed crowed from our balcony table. The one where Colette and her crush also eat!
4) That pile of black rocks in this picture? It’s a volcano. I swam into it. It was probably the most adventurous moment of my life. Colette will swim into there, too. And what happens inside that volcano will change her forever.
5) This is the Tree of Life on Crete where Zeus was said to have conducted his first extra-marital affair. Colette will dance beneath its leaves before the story is over. The question is: with whom?
Thank you, Caela! If I didn't already want to go to Greece before, I definitely do now! I'm so looking forward to watching Colette and Sadie's reunion play out there!
A little about My Best Friend, Maybe:
My Best Friend, Maybe by Caela Carter.
Published: June 3, 2014.
Published by: Bloomsbury Children's.
Colette has been bored and lonely ever since her best friend, Sadie, dumped her the summer before they stared high school. She tries to be perfect for everyone left in her life: her parents, her younger brothers, her church youth group, even her boyfriend, Mark. But Colette is restless. And she misses Sadie.
When Sadie tells Colette that she needs her old friend to join her on a family vacation to the Greek Islands, one that leaves in only a few days, Colette is shocked to hear their old magic word: need. And she finds herself agreeing.
Colette tries to relax and enjoy her Grecian surroundings but it’s not easy to go on vacation with the person who hurt you most in the world. When the reason for the trip finally surfaces, Colette finds out this is not only a fun vacation. Sadie has kept an enormous secret from Colette for years...forever. It’s a summer full of surprises, but that might be what Colette needs.