5/21/2013

BEA Grabby Hands (Or Ten Must Get Titles)


For the first time this year I will be attending Book Expo America. While I like to think of myself as a person who is able to exercise restraint, let's be honest. My friend Kathy of A Glass of Wine described this event to me as "book mecca." I can say with confidence that I will be totally overwhelmed and will be picking up plenty of books. However, I have made a promise to myself to be harsh with myself and totally underestimate my abilities to get through these books with the hope that it will make me a smarter BEA-goer.  That said, there are a few books that I do not want to leave the Javits Center without.

Autographing Area Books:

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein.
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion.
After discovering a true love in Code Name Verity (my review here), I must get my hands on this novel. Elizabeth has also been so kind and wonderful to talk to in all my interactions with her, and I've heard that Rose Under Fire might do just as much damage to my heart as Verity did. Whatever it takes, I will be in this line.



Antigoddess by Kendare Blake.
Publisher: Tor Teen.
I'm a huge sucker for mythology of any kind, so I am wildly excited for this one. The Greek Gods... falling? Dying? I'm so excited to see where she takes this idea!

Vicious by V.E. Schwab.
Publisher: Tor.
If you really need me to explain this one to you, you need to go look up the synopsis and all of the awesomeness that V.E. Schwab has tweeted and blogged and talked about regarding this book. Seriously, I can't not be excited. 





Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young.
Publisher: Simon Pulse.
This is a story idea that has been cropping up a bit lately with books like Kasie West's Pivot Point, which I haven't had a chance to read yet, but I love the idea so I definitely want to give this a try!





Galley Drops or In-Booth Signings:


Smoke by Ellen Hopkins.
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books.
I have read and loved every single one of Ellen Hopkins' YA books. Every. Single. One. I will claw my way to this book (not actually... I'm way too shy and polite for that - I am Canadian, after all. But you know what I'm saying).






The Extra by Kathryn Lasky.
Publisher: Candlewick.
I did a whole month on the blog dedicated to historical fiction, so clearly that is a love of mine. This is on my must-get list, though, because it focuses not only on one of my favourite time periods from a historian point of view, World War II, but also on a perspective I personally have never considered or studied before, so I am so excited to be exposed to something new in the time period I love to read about.




The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater.
Publisher: Scholastic Press.
While I wasn't totally in love with The Raven Boys (review), to which this is the sequel, I did still enjoy it and am curious enough about the stories and the characters that I definitely want to read this one!




Publisher: Viking Juvenile.
This one sounds so intriguing! I am so curious and excited and kind of out of words, actually. This one just seems like it could be so cool! Definitely want to try to get in  her line! 


Proxy by Alex London.
Publisher: Philomel.
I don't remember where I heard that this one was going to be at BEA but I really hope I heard right! (Update... it was Kirkus. They best not be lying to me about this). The June release date has me skeptical, but maybe they'll have finished copies, or leftover ARCs? I don't know, but I want to see it! Fiona Paul, who wrote a personal favourite of mine, Venom, loved this one so I'm hoping I can grab a copy and maybe love it as well!


All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill.
Publisher: Disney Hyperion.
Despite the fact that this is the UK cover (rats), I'm totally excited for this one. The concept sounds amazing and with great execution this could be such an original story. Technically this one should be in the "autographing" section of this post but I'm fairly sure I won't make her signing, unfortunately. Fingers crossed for a drop at the Disney booth!



Honourable mentions:
This is W.A.R by Lisa & Laura Roecker, If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan, The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal, How To Love by Katie Cotugno, Bang by Lisa McMann, Frozen by Melissa de la Cruz & Michael Johnston, Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles. 

Are you going to BEA this year? Any of these titles you're excited about?

6 comments:

  1. I wish I was going! Alas I am not. I hope you have a blast and that you're able to pick up all the books! Seriously all of these titles sound great. Maybe I should fly myself to BEA next year for my birthday! Gah, if I was going I would get my hands on Fractured by Sarah Fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think BEA would be an awesome birthday present next year! It sounds crazy but so fun :) I haven't read anything by Sarah Fine but maybe I should check out her books!

      Delete
  2. Oh hey, I didn't know there was going to be an Ellen Hopkins book there. This reminds me that I need to look through the galley drop/in-booth signing schedules. GAH. SO MUCH TO DO. *panics*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I still have a ton to do too! It's so overwhelming! I've been panicking a little all week. But yes, I knew Ellen Hopkins had one coming out so I stalked the info around that one because I love all her stuff. I hope to see you there! :)

      Delete
  3. I am happy to hear you are going to be going to BEA! I will be there with some blogger friends of mine as well, one of which has posted above me. Haha! You've got some great picks here. I definitely want to grab copies of Antigoddess and Vicious and All Our Yesterdays. Hopefully I will get to see you there while we are in a line or something! I hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting! It'll be awesome to have blogger friends with you. I hope to see you there as well :) There are definitely some interesting-looking books, so fingers crossed we can get some of them! And thank you :) First time is intimidating and I know I'll be overwhelmed, but I'm sure it'll be fun, too.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think!